Friday, March 25, 2011

Speed Reviews

Sorry, sorry. I've been feeling super lazy lately and haven't posted in a while. But today, I'm going to fix the situation by reviewing everything in this blog post. Hold on to your hat, folks.

About Schmidt - Louis Begley: I didn't see the movie, but this is one case where I actually feel like it might have been better than the book. Nothing happens at all. The book is entirely about the strained relationship he has with his daughter which becomes worse when she gets engaged to a guy Schmidt doesn't like, and his decision about whether he should give her the house worth millions of dollars. She's an ungrateful spoiled brat, he needs to get a grip, and the only person likeable in this book is the fiancĂ©e, who we're not supposed to like. Verdict: Pass.

Endangered Species - Louis Bayard: A heartwarming story of a single gay man on the quest to father a child. The book is funny, a little bit sad, but mostly just feels like you sat down with a friend over coffee and he told you the story of the time he tried to have a kid. Verdict: Perfect light reading.

Little Bee - Chris Cleave: This is the kind of book that makes me think publishing needs a rating system like movies. Had I known this book would give me terrible nightmares rivaled only by the time I accidentally watched the first 5 minutes of Law Abiding Citizen, I definitely would not have brought it on a vacation. The writing is good but ultimately I didn't think it was worth it for the years of therapy I will now require. Verdict: If you can handle graphic rape, violence, and murder, it's a thought provoking story. 

It's Not About the Bike - Lance Armstrong: For someone who has limited interest in biking or Lance Armstrong, I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. It's a quick read that follows his early biking career, battle with cancer, and then focuses heavily on the Tour de France victories. At the end of the book he's still with his wife so that tells you something about when it was published. Verdict: Amusing.

The Troublemaker - Rexanne Bechnel: A good old fashioned steamy romance novel. Wealthy socialite meets dangerous man with a secret that could destroy her and her family. It's a little darker than some of the other trashy romance books I've read, but on the plus side I actually didn't know how it would end. I thought the main characters could have been slightly more personable, at times they came off as a little harsh, but overall I really enjoyed it and had a hard time putting the book down. Verdict: A good read if you like romance novels. 

Very Truly Yours - Julie Beard: This romance novel on the other hand felt like every other romance novel ever written. Another wealthy socialite with a secret?! This time, the hero saves her from being blackmailed by an evil Lord/Earl/other noble title but their chemistry feels forced, or maybe just too predictable. It was fun, perfect for an afternoon by the pool, but I'd recommend novels by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, or Loretta Chase over this one. Verdict: Fine, but not the best. 

The Power of Persuasion - Robert Levine: This book definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but I ended up really liking it. The subtitle being "How we're bought and sold", I was expecting it to relate more to consumers and their purchases. Instead, the book is very much about the psychology of persuasion, ranging from kitchen knives (a section in which he reveals the sales tactics of a door-to-door cutlery salesman after going through the training to become one himself), to cults. It's easy to read, not at all textbook-ish, and peppered with personal stories from Levine's life. Verdict: A fun read with some interesting lessons. I recommend it.


Whew, ok, that was intense. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment