Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fool's Errand - Louis Bayard

A note to librarians: if the plot is romance, the book belongs in the romance section. Just because the characters are gay does not make the book real literature.

Now that we got that out of the way, onto the book review: It sucked. Seriously, this book was about as original as a Jennifer Aniston movie. Our main character, Patrick, goes to a house party with his boyfriend even though he's super tired. He goes upstairs to take a nap and encounters his "perfect man", except that he might have been dreaming at the time. Shortly thereafter, his boyfriend breaks up with him for someone named Ted, and Patrick goes on the hunt to find Mr. Perfect. Ted's ex-boyfriend takes an interest in helping Patrick find him, and they spend a huge amount of time together, at the end of which they fall in love. *Groan*. Actually now that I think about it, if this were a movie Katherine Heigl would probably star in it. Reminds me a lot of that one with her and Gerard Butler... (Quick Google search: The Ugly Truth.)

But back to the book. I did think the characters were believable and the dialogue was witty, but 486 pages?! I need more than that. Give me some substance, some action! If this had been 200 pages I would have considered it perfect light beach reading. At its current length, I think I got more use out of it for bicep curls.

Verdict: Skip it. You're better off watching whatever's on Lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. "Just because the characters are gay doesn't make a book literature."

    This is one of ther best lines I've heard this week! If I Tweeted, I would re-tweet it. But I don't so maybe I will just quote it on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete