Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best and Worst of 2010

As we begin 2011, I can't help but reminisce about 2010 and things I read over the past year. There were many books that were good but not especially memorable, some that were bad, and a few that stood out as exceptional or downright awful. So, dear reader(s?), I present to you my top 5 and bottom 5 books of 2010.

TOP (In no particular order)
1. Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters - Mark Dunn
This was the most creative book I read all year, and quite possibly the most creative I have ever read. Without giving too much away, I don't ever recall a book that played with letters in the same way that Mark Dunn has. He manages to keep the reader entertained by the English language, like we're all in on a joke together, without losing anything in the plot along the way.

2. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
I stole this one from a hotel room in Jamaica (fitting, right?) and simply couldn't put it down for 2 days straight. Be warned: it's an emotional read. It's a story of a 9-year old girl in Germany in the 1930s/40s who "collects" books. Based on the era and the location I think you can guess where this one is going... What separates this one is the phenomenal writing, believable and sympathetic characters, and the touches of humor sprinkled throughout.

3. Buyology - Martin Lindstrom
Those not in the market research field may not appreciate this, but I felt like it still deserved a place on this list. After all, it's the 5 best things I read this year. Lindstrom is doing some fascinating research using neuroscience. While I spend my days designing web surveys to get into the mind of consumers (figuratively), this book hooks up some metal probes and literally gets in their head. It's clearly non-fiction, but the writing is entertaining and it's never dry or text-booky.

4. Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
I was a little late to the bandwagon on this one and it's a good possibility that everyone has already read it. However, if you haven't, you should do so immediately.

5. We Need to Talk About Kevin -Lionel Shriver
I feel that this one needs a strong warning: It's graphic and disturbing. While it seems like it could be non-fiction, what got me through some of the hard parts was reminding myself that this is in fact a made-up story. Spoiler alert: It's the story of a boy who going on a killing rampage at his high school, told from the perspective of the mother. The book is saved by the beautiful writing, which at times borders on poetic. It's a thought provoking piece about nature vs nurture that I couldn't get out of my head weeks, even months after. It's worth a read, but maybe not right before bed...


Bottom 5 books to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment